Turkish cuisine has many types of “meze”. “Meze” is a kind of appetizer and served especially before meat dishes and kebabs. Turkish Smoked Eggplant Salad is both healthy and a vegetarian recipe. Let’s move on with this lovely “meze” called “Közde Patlıcan Salatası” recipe.
Turkish Smoked Eggplant Salad
- 1-2 medium eggplants ( Or aubergines. By the way we call them “Patlıcan” 🙂
- 1 large tomato (peeled – finely chopped)
- 1-2 green or red bell pepper (finely sliced)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped and rubbed with salt)
- A small bunch of parsley ( finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice ( preferably fresh)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint, paprika, salt and black pepper
Turkish Smoked Eggplant Salad Recipe
- To prepare Turkish Smoked Eggplant Salad, you will need to smoke the eggplants. You can use 2 methods. Either you can cook them in oven at 200 degrees C, or put them on barbecue/gas flame. Remember to turn them occasionally until the outer is skin is completely charred.
- When the eggplants are soft and fleshy, peel away their skin and drain the bitter juice. Chop the eggplants finely and let them wait in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix olive oil, seasonings and lemon juice to prepare the dressing.
- Mix eggplants and freshly chopped veggies well. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix again.
- In Turkey we add 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup as well. But in case you may not find it, you may add same amount of balsamic vinegar.
Turkish Smoked Eggplant Salad is ready.
Serve hot or cold. It’s delicious both ways 🙂