Turkish cuisine does not consist of meat dishes solely. We have plenty of vegetable recipes prepared either with olive oil or meat. Turkish green beans recipe is one of the recipes cooked with olive oil and freshly plucked green beans. Green beans may be called runner beans or string beans as well.
Turkish Green Beans Recipe
- 1 kg freshly plucked green beans
- 200 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 medium sized onions
- 3 medium sized fresh tomatoes ( peeled and chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 3 teaspoons of sugar ( Yes, this is a trick)
- Hot water to cover the beans
Turkish green beans recipe
Cooking Turkish green beans recipe takes about 1 hour.
- First of all you should top and tail the beans. You can do this either by breaking the tips off or cutting. Then break the beans into 2-3 parts.
- Put olive oil in a large pan and warm it. Fry the onions until they are completely soft and tender.
- Add chopped tomatoes, stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add salt and sugar. Sugar is added because if you don’t add sugar the acidity of the olive oil may make it not taste well.
- Mix all the ingredients and pour over enough hot water.
- As soon as it starts boiling turn down the heat. Cook the green beans for about 1 hour.
- You may serve Turkish green beans recipe hot or when it’s cooled down.
With Turkish green beans a fresh salad, a cup of yogurt or Turkish rice go well.
Afiyet olsun 🙂