Turkish manti are small dumplings filled with spiced minced meat, traditionally lamb or beef, and often served with yogurt and a drizzle of butter sauce. These tiny dumplings are meticulously folded and can vary in shape from region to region.
They are cooked by boiling and then arranged on a plate before being topped with yogurt and a rich tomato and butter sauce. Manti showcase the intricate artistry that Turkish cuisine can offer.
Remember that these recipes are just an introduction to the rich and diverse world of Turkish cuisine. Exploring further can lead you to discover even more delicious and unique dishes that reflect the cultural heritage and flavors of Turkey.
Homemade Turkish Dumpling – Manti Recipe
Ingredients for the Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Water, as needed
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 250g ground lamb or beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground allspice
You find Turkish Borek Recipe interesting as well if you like pastry.
Ingredients for Serving:
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Prepare the dough by mixing the flour, salt, and egg. Gradually add water while kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling by sautéing the chopped onion until translucent. Add the ground meat and cook until browned. Season with salt, pepper, ground cinnamon, and allspice. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thin sheet. Cut the dough into small squares (about 2-inch by 2-inch).
- Place a small amount of the meat filling in the center of each dough square.
- Fold the dough over the filling to form a triangle and press the edges to seal.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the manti and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Serve the cooked manti with a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of melted butter. You can also sprinkle red pepper flakes on top for added flavor and color.
Enjoy this delicious Turkish manti recipe that captures the flavors and traditions of Turkish cuisine!