Turkish spicy bulgur wheat salad is traditionally prepared for family or friend gatherings. It’s both easy and delicious and that’s why it’s a bowl of taste. In Turkey we prepare bulgur salad with pomegranate syrup called “Nar ekşisi”. In case you may not find it you can use balsamic vinegar as well.
While preparing Turkish spicy bulgur wheat salad as well as all Turkish recipes seasonings are really important. So if any time you have a chance to visit Turkey, don’t forget to buy some seasonings and pepper and tomato pastes called “Salça”. So if you’re ready let’s move on with our delicious Turkish spicy bulgur wheat salad recipe.
- 2 cups coarse bulgur
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper paste(if you don’t like hot spices, use 2 tablespoons tomato paste)
- A Teaspoon of paprika, dried mint and red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 green onions (finely chopped)
- 4 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- A small bunch of finely chopped parsley
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate syrup ( Nar ekşisi) or balsamic vinegar
Turkish spicy bulgur wheat salad recipe
- First of all you will need to steep the bulgur in hot water. Put coarse bulgur wheat on a broad and shallow bowl and pour hot water. Cover the bowl and wait for 15-20 minutes so that the bulgur wheat absorbs the water.
- When there is no water left and all is absorbed by bulgur wheat, add tomato and pepper paste, seasonings, salt, olive oil and start kneading.
- Knead the bulgur wheat mix for 5-10 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons pomegranate syrup ( Nar ekşisi) or balsamic vinegar and keep on kneading.
- Add fresh vegetables and mix them with the help of a spoon.
Serve Turkish spicy bulgur wheat salad with fresh lettuce leaves and preferably with Turkish tea.
You can keep the remaining of bulgur salad in refrigerator.
Afiyet olsun 🙂