Helva or halva(Arabic) is a paste-like sweet and generally found in Turkey and Middle East. Turkish flour helva recipe is, as you can guess easily made with flour, sugar and oil. Helva is a traditional Turkish food, present in Turkish cuisine for centuries. Turkish helva has many types but main types are tahini helva, flour helva and semolina helva.
Turkish Flour Helva Recipe – Un Helvası Tarifi
250 grams butter
4 cups wheat flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup cold milk or water
Walnuts, pine nuts
Turkish Flour Helva Recipe
- First of all mix cold water/milk and sugar well in a large bowl.
- In a deep cooking pan melt the butter.
- Add flour in small amounts and stir well while adding.
- You should use a wooden spoon to stir helva.
- The flour will first turn yellow and then brown.
- When it boils and the color is brownish, add sugar-milk mix slowly.
- While cooking Turkish helva you should never stop stirring.
- After 5-6 minutes add crushed walnuts, stir for 1 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Scoop out small pieces and serve hot or cold. You may sprinkle some cinnamon on when it’s cold.