Turkish style cheese filled pastry is called “Poğaça”. You can order it at cafes and easily bake at home. The fillings may differ. The typical ones are filled with cheese but you can use olives, mashed potato, spinach etc. Served with Turkish black tea, it will be your favorite savoury pastry.
Turkish style cheese filled pastry recipe
- 3,5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking podwer
- Half cup cooking oil
- 125 grams melted butter
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1,5 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup grated cheese ( preferably Turkish white cheese or feta)
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 egg yolks ( for topping)
- 2 tablespoon sesame/black sesame seeds ( for topping)
How to make Turkish style cheese filled pastry
- Add flour, baking powder, yogurt, cooking oil, melted butter, eggs, sugar, salt in a large bowl respectively and mix until smooth.
- While mixing, if the dough feels dry add some lukewarm water or milk gradually.
- Knead the dough until it’s soft.
- Make small balls, cover them with damp cloth and let them wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Take small balls into you palm, press it into a flat circle and put a teaspoon of cheese and parsley mix, bring the edges of the dough and make a round ball.
- Put the balls on oven tray with baking sheet.
- Brush the dough balls with egg yolk and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake cheese filled pastry until it’s shiny and cracky for 20-30 mins.
You may serve with Turkish black tea or coffee.